Controlling Transformation in the context of a more and more digitized environment
Digital change makes the relocation of focal controlling points imperative: These days, Controlling spends the majority of its resources on data-loaded analysis oriented to the past. This must change towards the future- and decision-oriented alignment of all activities. The relevance of decisions and the influence of information on the company’s future development should be at the forefront of all Controlling activities.
Challenges for Controlling:
- Information base: A selection of the variables actually relevant for Controlling from the ever expanding flood of data
- Orientation to the future and the actions: A stronger alignment to future-related, qualitative analysis and to the derivation of decision-making documentation or decisions
- Planning processes and models: Dynamizing and interlinking the various planning levels (strategic and operative planning as well as forecast)
- Simulation capacity: Optionally acting out and displaying alternative scenarios
- Process optimization: Optimizing internal processes to accelerate and flexibilize evaluations and analysis
- Automation: Using new technical opportunities to further automate standard functions
- Risk Analysis: Critically evaluating risks caused by increasing digitalization
Continuous development of the Controller role
The transformation of Controlling also changes the Controller’s role:
To ensure Management’s continued respect for the Controller as a sparring partner, he will have to independently develop recommended actions and decision-making documentation from analyses and discuss these with the decision-makers. This demands courage and self-confidence.
Typical Controller attributes such as accuracy and striving for security must be, among other things, critically questioned under the current framework conditions. An 80% solution at the right time can be significantly more valuable than a delayed 100% analysis. The speed of analysis, interpretation and derivation of measures is increasingly developing into a central success factor.
Support from CAMELOT:
- Based on a holistic approach, we can make your Controlling fit for any current and future challenges.
- This is initiated with a strengths/weaknesses analysis together with internal Controlling, including both the internal and the external image. Concrete action requirements are then derived on the basis of the analysis.
- This is followed by the joint development of optional actions and the design of a company-specific best-practice target mission. In this case we will also incorporate best-practice solutions from other companies.
- During a further step, we will accompany and support you in the implementation of the developed and/or newly defined processes, as required and to the desired extent.
- Within the scope of individual, situation-specific benchmarking, we are also able to provide neutral recommendations for the planned adaptation and/or expansion of the IT systems for technical realization.